Advertised July 5th 2017
Position Description – Practice Nurse
Applicable Industrial Award: National Employment Standards Nurses Award 2010
Responsible To: Principal Doctors and Practice Manager
Conditions of Employment
- Attitude: Attitude to all tasks should be helpful, understanding, cheerful, bright, empathetic and forgiving.
- Dress: Clean, neat uniforms to be worn at all times. Long hair should be tied back and presentation should be clean and tidy at all times. Jewellery should be kept to a minimum to ensure safety for staff and patients.
- Telephone: Practice standards must be adhered to at all times.
- Standards: In this practice we strive for perfection in all that we do and expect our staff to do so as well. The Patients are the most important people and without them we cease to be viable.
- Responsible to: Practice Manager and Principal Doctors
- Be a part of our team
- Organise and maintain flow of patients
- Communicate effectively with patients and their families
- Attend to prescribed administrative functions as directed
- Assist Doctors with patients when necessary
- Be competent and up to date in using and maintaining all practice equipment used in clinical care of our patients.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to work within infection control standards and guidelines
- Participate in professional development to maintain nursing qualifications and registration with AHPRA
- Maintain awareness of current and new legislation to ensure business is complying with all statutory and regulatory obligations including infection control, sterilisation, hazardous materials and safe handling/disposal of medical waste, records management, OHS, and accreditation.
- Ensure relevant personnel are kept informed and changes are made to systems and procedures as required.
The following duties are to be carried out in conjunction with the Practice Policy and Procedures manual where applicable.
Routine Nursing Activities:
- Perform clinical duties within required level of clinical competency, according to best available evidence and scope of practice
- Maintain accurate, detailed reports and records as per Accreditation standards
- Monitor, record and report symptoms or changes in patients’ conditions
- Record patients’ medical information and vital signs
- Assist reception Staff to triage patients when necessary and arrange immediate consultation with Doctor as necessary
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement, or evaluate patient care plans
- Maintain Infection Control standards in treatment and sterilising rooms
- Receive and process vaccinations received as per “Strive for Five” standards
- Daily recording of vaccine fridges to ensure maintenance of cold chain.
- Check and restock supplies in consulting rooms.
- Ensure all procedural, surgical instruments and medical supplies are handled according to infection control standards.
- Change all soaking solutions daily – Clinidet solution (diluted 4ml/L).
- Maintain records of all reportable vaccinations and dispatch weekly report to VIVAS.
- Ensure all medical and drug supplies are within expiry dates, and order as necessary
- Duties include:
- Immunisations and other injections as per National Immunisations Handbook or Doctor’s order.
- wound management,
- Assist doctors with clinical procedures.
- Perform the following prior to Doctor’s consultation – when indicated
- Weight and height
- Observations: blood pressure (lying/standing), pulse Sp02 (if indicated)
- Alert Doctor to any deterioration of vital signs
- Visual acuity
- Equipment maintenance/service. Keep up-to-date Record Manual on care of equipment, servicing dates.
- Clean/sterilise all medical equipment in accordance with RACGP standards.
- Ensure all medical waste is disposed of correctly.
- Maintain Dangerous Drug register – in accordance with Doctors instructions and relevant legislation.
- Order medical equipment/stock for surgery.
- Removal of sutures: Guide –
Head & Face (4 – 5 days)
Back & lower legs ( 10 – 14 days)
Other area of limbs and body Guided by consultation with Doctors (7 days)
- Ensure monthly clean of treatment rooms is attended to
- Order stock for vaccinations (both public and private) as well as travel vaccinations
- Contact patients registered with DVA CVC program
- Maintain records and administrative paperwork in accordance with
- Liaise with Doctors regarding outstanding pathology and radiology
- Check and maintain all treatment room equipment